We all hope that it won't happen - the unfortunate moment when you back into a vehicle or when an intersecting vehicle runs a red light right into your prized vehicle. For many, some sort of fender bender will happen at least once. The Knoepfler Chevrolet Collision Center offers some tips on what to do if you get in a car accident.
2. Be safe. Depending on where the accident happened, it may be unsafe for you to be in or near your vehicle. If it was a minor accident, you should be able to move your vehicle off the side of the road. If you are unable to move your vehicle, leave your vehicle and go to a safe spot off the road. Check for injuries for your passengers, the passengers of the other involved vehicle(s) and yourself. If there are serious injuries, call 911.
3. Call police. After explaining the accident to the police, they may or may not choose to send someone over. It is always wise to call so they are aware of the situation and can come to direct traffic if your vehicles are blocking the road. If they do not come, you may be asked to file a police report regarding the accident.
4. Exchange Info. Be sure to get the following information from the involved parties: Name, Address, Phone, Vehicle's Make, Model & Year, License Plate #, Insurance Company, Insurance Policy Number. Do not agree if the other party suggests to keep this accident from the insurance companies. It is better to get the insurance companies involved so that the situation and damages are handled properly. Also, your Social Security Number is not needed to file an insurance claim, so if you are asked to provide that politely tell them it is unnecessary.
5. Document the accident. Take lots of pictures of the accident and the damage. This will help if any issues arise. Also take notes of the location, date and time of accident. If there are witnesses, be sure to collect their contact information.
6. Call Insurance Company. Your insurance company will inform you on what will be covered and the steps moving forward. Some insurance companies may want you to visit their drive-in claims center before having your car repaired. You can do this, or you may leave your car at the Knoepfler Chevrolet Collision Center and ask that the insurance company inspect the car there.
7. Take a Sigh of Relief. At Knoepfler Chevrolet, the body shop staff will work with your insurance company and take care of your vehicle needs. You are welcome to take advantage of the free to and from shuttle service. If available, they will even provide a loaner vehicle to use until your vehicle is fixed up.